Thursday, February 8

Enamoured With the City of Love

As cliché as this may seem, I have discovered a completely different Paris than the one I saw in the summer. Paris is an attitude, but it is not self-evident. Past the 6th arrondissement, past the Luxembourg and the spotless boutiques of Les Marais, past having hour-long coffee breaks at St Germain-de-Pres and the sunsets at the gardens of the Palais Royal, I have discovered another city. Paris is definitely an attitude. It’s not just the easy esprit and consumption- it is a way of life.

At first I wasn’t entirely happy with where I was living. I was seriously considering talking to my parents about moving, and I couldn’t help thinking that the entire area around (oh, you have to love) Pigale was one big, risqué, titillating, and suggestive, voluptuous brothel.

But just by walking around I have discovered so many interesting things about my neighbourhood. Past the sex-shops the 9th is charming and full of life. Not to mention, Jean-Paul Gaultier lives two blocks away from my house.

The only reproach I have for my original insensitivity towards this part of the city was my lack of vision- a sort of lack of curiosity vis-à-vis another beautiful, flirtatious side that Paris has to offer. And so I am incredibly lucky to be living high in the 9th arrondissement, because I get to see the gilt-edged corners of the 6th and 7th arrondissements during the day, and the night life in all its diversity of the 9th and 18th. Reducing Paris to the Rive Gauche and nothing north of the Champs Elysées is an adamant view that does not render this city justice.

(Here's a map so that this may make more sense)



No comments: